New Mexico Wildlife

New Mexico Department of Game and Fish

Home |  Recreation |  Apps & Permits |  Enforcement |  Conservation |  Education |  OHV |  Commission


Last Updated: 5/17/05

December Officer of the Month

Officer Ortega checking for license &

bag limit compliance during hunting season


Chris Ortega               



From Local District Officer to Field Training Officer Southwest Area-Las Cruces


Duty Station:

Las Cruces


Special Area of Responsibility/Game Mgmt Units:

GMU's 19, 20, 21 & 25



Bachelor of Science in Wildlife


Length of Service:

5 Years


Specialty or Interest:

Amphibians & Reptiles


Current Projects/Assignments:

Amphibian  & Reptile identification booklet  


Best Thing About the Job:

Working outdoors in a variety of habitats 


Most Common Question People Have:

When do I need to purchase a habitat stamp?



You need to purchase a habitat stamp or validation anytime you hunt, fish or trap on lands administered by the BLM or US Forest Service.  Only one stamp or validation is required per person per license year (April 1 - March 31)


Contact Information:                 

Phone: (505) 532-2100